Given the expansion of the construction activity outside the limits of the City and the fact that any construction is a substantial investment, elaboration of a Geotechnical Study is necessary for secure foundation while the cost of the study represents only 0.5-1% of the cost of the construction.
Geotechnical Study is elaborated by specialists – Geotechnical Engineers -in order to ensure the strength of the soil in taking loads (foundations of buildings and infrastructure, retaining soils, slope stability). The Geotechnical Design includes specialized calculations to check the strength and deformation of soil under load
Geotechnical Investigations and studies
- Foundation of buildings and Infrastructure Works Design (Ports, Bridges, Roads)
- Slope Stability and Lateral Support Design (Natural Slopes and Embankments)
- Landslides Control Design
Elaboration Phases of Geotechnical Design
Site inspection from qualified Geologists and Geotechnical Engineers
Geotechnical Investigation takes place in specific locations and depths determined from the previous phase of field work and measurements. Soil/Rock Drilling, in-situ soil strength tests, acquisition of soil/rock samples in specific depths.
Sample test in certified (for Soils and Rocks) Geotechnical Engineering Laboratories, estimation of Soil/rock physical and mechanical Properties
Geotechnical data evaluation, formation of geotechnical layers of common properties in respect with the Depth, determination of the Geo-mechanical Model of the Study Area, Design of Engineering Structures and Technical Measures.
Execution of Geotechnical Analysis, that is elaboration of a series of Geotechnical Simulation Phases of Soil and Rock mechanical behaviour when subjected to specific loading (internal and external loads) evaluating Soil and Rock Deformations (Elastoplastic theory) -Geotechnical analysis. Final phase of Engineering Structures Design Process and estimation of final Materials and Structural Dimensions.
Aquaterra performs State-of-the-Art Geotechnical Analysis with detailed numerical Simulations using the specialized FEM Software package: PLAXIS PROFESSIONAL (PLAXIS BV, THE NETHERLANDS). When Slope Stability is the case, a specific procedure of optimized phases is followed during the Geotechnical Analysis framework:
- A Geo-mechanical Model is generated on specific geological cross-sections and is designed into PLAXIS graphical environment
- The Finite Element mesh is generated and optimized, with densification techniques, especially in specific areas of interest
- Surface Loads are performed (point loads/distributed loads)
- Engineering structures and measures are designed: retaining walls, geotechnical filters, groups of anchors, geogrids e.t.c.
- Water table is setup into the geomechanical model (in surface layers or in deeper layers of the model).
- Discretization of the Analysis phases according to the sequence of the construction phases.
- Solution of the individual Analysis phases, determination of Soil/Rock Deformations in each phase of the Static and the Dynamic (earthquake) Analysis
- Estimation of the Factor of generalized Stability ( F.S. ) for each individual simulation phase
- Based on this analysis, a decision is made for the Optimum slope stabilization Measure
Benefits of a Geotechnical Study
- Increase of the Safety Factor for theengineering works
- Optimized technical solutions for each application – Construction phases are designed and tested during numerical simulation procedure
- Excess dimensional design is avoided – Significant savings of the construction cost